Saturday, February 14, 2009

The excitement is mounting!

I am elated to be working with such a dedicated and talented group of individuals. As opening day approaches everyone can feel the pressure, and is rising to the occasion. The designers, cast and crew are all putting their hearts and souls into this production. I think the fact that the play is about real women who lived real lives full of real pain and real joy has a major impact on the responsibility we feel. We want to honor their legacy with this production. These women, some of whom were famous, but most of whom were not, paved the road for the generations that followed them, including our generation. It is only because of their ability to endure, strive and thrive that modern American women such as myself even exist. I am grateful for these ancestors and the fact that they survived long enough to sew the seeds of their strength that have grown into the great oak trees of opportunity that shade me and my generation today. I feel privileged to have this opportunity to share their struggles, joys, strength and humor with a modern audience. This production makes use of mixed media, live music and raw human talent to create an experience that is relevant and enjoyable for everyone from the Disney channel audience to the MTV generation, to baby boomers and beyond. I am confident that when it opens, our blood, sweat and tears will breath new life into these stories.

4 comments:

Blissfully Nappy said...

Saturdays Rehearsal!! Oh my gosh. I'm Kenyatta. One of the cast members of this wonderful movement that will unfold on stage starting February 28. I am also a mother of a 2 year old toddler that accompanied me to rehearsals. Let me tell you, I do believe we have discovered a natural gift of entertainment. She has memorized a portion of my lines and makes sure she reminds me by reciting it daily..."Bel pem pattat!"

Anonymous said...

I am get increasingly nervous, excited, anxious, and many other indescribable feelings as the opening nears. It seems like just yesterday I sat down for my first read-through with the cast.

Being my first professional production since my college graduation I am feel so blessed to be a part of this production and I know that all of our hard work will culminate in a lovely, truthful, painfully human portrait of the black woman's experience through the last hundred years.

It's just too bad that we can't present one of our warm-ups as a show because I can guarantee that an audience would enjoy one crazy round of zip-zap-zop!

Nerlynn2002 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nerlynn2002 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.